5 July 2012

Pin It

Widgets

How to get moving from the couch to the crunch


Take this from a born slacker: it’s the first few minutes that are the worst. I’ve experienced this with almost everything I’ve tackled in life. At first it seems daunting. You tell yourself “that’s just not me”. You imagine the scenario and even that is exhausting. So sitting still and forgetting about it is easier. This goes for exercise especially.

I used to procrastinate everything I had to do and try to get out of things I didn’t have to, even if it meant I’d be happier and healthier in the long run. These things ranged from quitting smoking and binge drinking, going vegan, starting the next essay when I was studying or working on the craft projects I did. Everything just seemed like too much effort until I motivated myself enough to keep to the plan.

Working out is my newest project to living a better life. I’m no size ten, so initially it felt like everyone would be judging my round behind in the gym, but luckily there’s always someone bigger or more unfit than you. The other thing that held me back was a lack of interest. My sister got me motivated because she wanted to start exercising and I wanted to see what the fuss was about and do yoga classes.

The next thing I knew, hitting the gym was the highlight of my weekdays. Feeling yourself getting fitter and have more stamina is almost addictive. Exercise is also a great mood booster, which is often referred to as the “runner’s high”, which keeps you coming back for more. That’s why pushing yourself is better than a half-hearted jog. You want those benefits, you want to feel good and you want to see results, whatever you’re aiming for.

Of course, you don’t have to go to the gym to get the benefits of exercise. You can follow at-home exercise routines. Bodyrock.tv is great because they upload YouTube videos regularly so you don’t get bored and you can join the community and see how other people are training and the results they’re getting. They do a lot of strength training, which requires some guidance to get the most out of your work out. Then there are also great yoga videos and everything is free so you don't have to break the bank.

So what are you waiting for? Today is as good as any other.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...